Somehow I managed to not plan for today, it’s not the first time I have done this. Mainly because this time frame in the year seems to be at the height of insanity and it is never attended to in the manner I would have loved to devote to. Yet, I am asking myself, better yet chastising myself to get better at this next time.
He doesn’t like cards, doesn’t care for unwanted gifts and definitely doesn’t care for filler gifts. A life of being the sole financial provider for a constantly growing family the last 11 yrs has made it impossible to buy things for him. If it’s a necessity, its worked within the budget, it is discussed with the financial advisor (me) and then it purchased. Buying for himself rarely happens and so it always makes this day the hardest for his family. What do you get a man that has embodied sacrificial love so well? He would give you the shirt off his back if you came to him and said, “hey man, I really need your shirt because…”
Thanks to the big change in my life, going back to work, I have found the balancing act even harder. He is met with a wife that is struggling in learning how to care for a home and family while meeting the deadlines, workloads, and expectations that come with her new job.
I dropped the ball. Nothing was laid out for him this morning, something he has done for me over the years, no heartfelt little hands drew cards, no dinner plans to look forward to (the man loves to eat) thanks to both of us working tonight.
Today has been like any other day.
I wasn’t even sure I was going to write something. Honestly I have phone calls that need to be made now that I have the baby down for a power nap before we go and get siblings from school here in an hour. But as I was wiping the goo off the counters that I didn’t get to before heading to the office this morning a list started to form in my head.
It’s not wrapped in a bow, it hasn’t been purchased from a store, but every single bit of it is true.
35 years ago, God breathed life into this man that we get to call hubby and daddy
William Richard Harney, here are the 35 things I love and am thankful for:
1. You call me beautiful when I first wake up, when you come home from work or when we have been separated for a bit
2. You always make sure to let me pick the 2 plates we are going to share at restaurants
3. You make sure I have clean sheets to come home to whenever I travel
4. Breakfast is made every morning for me
5. The dreaded nighttime routine has been your jam since Cayden was first weaned 9 yrs ago
6. When I am taking a moment to myself, while you man the circus we call children, you always say “take your time”
7. You deal with the pukers when they hit our home, knowing I CAN.NOT. do it
8. Dirty diapers have never been an issue for you
9. You support me and my need to run, even if it means saturday mornings don’t start until I get my miles in
10. When I catch you staring at me when we are in a crowded room
11. Your willingness to coach and not give up on the uncoachable kids
12. Your ability to fix almost anything that has broken in our house
13. When you hold our daughters and whisper in their ears and they giggle
14. How you care for my mom
15. How you are intentional with my nephew
16. How you LOVE my friends and never make me feel like I have to choose between you or them
17. Your level head when I am spinning like a top
18. The grace you have given over the phone at work when I have called in frantics for the 100th time over some disaster the kids (electrical fire), me (grease fire), lily (bear attack), Candy or the chickens created
19. Your willingness to do the dishes after dinner
20. Your desire to never put out my fire, but instead flame it and show me my voice matters
21. Your adventurous spirit and desire to try something new, since I love routine
22. Your heart to build men up within the church and your desire to be a disciple
23. Your love for christian rap
24. Your bow ties
25. Your silver hair – its sexy
26. How you put us first in everything thing that you do
27. Your willingness to play board/card games against the women in my family knowing you will always loose
28. Your tender heart, the tears you shed when I can’t, your transparency with feelings
29. The opportunities you let our son learn to be a man, when his mom isn’t ready for it
30. How you handled our son when he was exposed to indecency from another kid
31. The advocate you are for your daughter and the countless phone calls you have made to ensure her continued healthcare coverage
32. How you cared for me during the labor of each baby
33. Your ability to forgive and forget
34. Your playfulness, even if I find it annoying half the time, someone needs to see the world different then the black and white that I see
35. How you love us with every part of your soul
Happy birthday my love, I pray that we can show you through our words and actions that we are so blessed to have you as our protector, provider, husband and father.